So I realised that there was a lack of studio portraiture in my portfolio and went out to my friends and colleagues via Facebook to ask for their assistance in rectifying this.
First to answer the call was the lovely Rachael.
Now, I did the photos for her engagement party last year, and also for a few gigs that her fiancé Ant was in prior to that, so I’ve worked with them both before so I thought I knew what to expect from her….I was wrong!
To be honest, the lead up to the shoot was sometimes a little difficult as I tried to communicate my ideas via messages and Facebook – not always easy – but eventually we agreed a series of ideas we were both happy with.
Starting off with some simple head and shoulder shots, then some more tightly cropped to the face, and some a little wider for a half body shot, we worked well and the shots came easily and the posing worked quite well.
Next came the shots I thought may cause a little awkwardness – underwear – but the shots again seemed to flow very well. Some of the poses needed a little more extension through the body, and she did feel a little stretched so we cut this bit short and moved on.
When we moved on to the layers semi-sheer material draped across her, Rachael grew in confidence and suggested some poses herself which sometimes worked better than the ones I suggested.
And then the time was up! We had more set-ups we wanted to try but they will have to wait until the next time.
Many thanks to Rachael – she was a star – and certainly didn’t show much of the lack of confidence she mentioned in the run up to the shoot. I hope this experience doesn’t put her off doing another shoot with me!!
Next up is my mate Tracey, for a series of burlesque style shots, and then Gareth and his stubble, and then Andy – complete with Mohican! And I’ve got to fit Julie K in as well…. Can’t wait!